Monday, May 23, 2011

the five and jive

Today I've been in a surprisingly chipper mood which is unexpected given my slight melt-down yesterday, but when you have good people lifting you back up, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

Anyway, in this new and improved attitude, I've been noticing the little things today.

For example,

BYU campus in Provo Utah may be the one place where high-fives are a standard salutation.  I noticed a prime example of this today when I saw a little nerdy guy outside the library talking to a cute girl.  It was apparent that he was nervous, and he had this little shaky laugh that gave it away, but I think his dimples made up for it.  Anyway, the girl was really nice and you could tell she was trying to make him feel comfortable.  As I got closer the guy said he had to go and in a moment of what I can only imagine to be part panic, part blackout, he gave the girl a high five and walked away. 
Ok, if you go to BYU I know you've seen this.  Maybe you've even been on the receiving end of this.  Really happy people are particularly prone to it. 

There they are saying goodbye and they hold up their hand......

 In your mind you may be thinking..."really?"..."oh dear"...or even, "I haven't done this since 6th grade, I hope I don't miss", but your general respect for the other person usually makes completing the high-five absolutely necessary unless you want to insult them.

Look! - even Ryan Seacrest does it:


Another classic example of the Provo high-five fever is between runners.  Yes, I have to confess again - I've been part of this, but in my defense it was only on the receiving end!!! 
Honestly I thought they were just waving, so I sort of gave a wave back and all the sudden he hit my hand! I wasn't expecting it, so I have to say it was a really sloppy high-five.

I don't run on a regular basis, I only run when I feel the need to get away from everything.  Given this fact, I don't know if there is some kind of "runner's code" or "pact" that I am completely oblivious to.

This guy in the black even threw in the "live long and prosper". Fancy pants. Some people know all the variations of high fives. They actually have names; the jellyfish, the bomb, around the world, too slow (yes, there are memories with that one that make me slightly bitter ;) see?  High-fives are still cool.  Are you into the high-five jive?

1 comment:

  1. I love a good end-of-the-date high five.
    Classic.

    "The Turkey" is another personal favorite.


    TIP: If you watch the high-fiver's elbow whilst high-fiving, you'll never miss. I don't know why. But it sure works...

    ReplyDelete